Cookie Bake 2008 was a blast!! For the past several years my family has had a cookie bake at the barn-where all of our family gatherings take place. Mama Mary and her sisters and all of their kids use to have cookie bake at Grandma's and have continued the tradition with the addition of some new individuals.
I have never seen so many cookies in my life. The Cookie Company does not hold a candle to what was accomplished Saturday morning. I should have taken a picture of the table with all of the ingredients. Sugar, corn flakes, oatmeal, chocolate, almond bark, eggs, and every thing else you would need to make all types of cookies.
All of the children always decorate sugar cookies with icing and an assortment of sprinkles. Allie enjoyed using the purple and pink icing. These cookies happen to be my brother's favorite. Not any of the chocolate or peanut butter concoctions, but the ones that are FULL of sugar. He says the others are too rich. Not me!!! I say bring forth the chocolate.
I took it upon myself to make the cornflake candies and no bake cookies. Last year, Heather and I decided to make the buck eyes. I learned very quickly that dipping those little balls in chocolate was more trouble than it was worth. I thought the corn flake candies and no bake cookies would be easy enough-and they were. Like I said, we baked in the barn. I must tell you that if you walked outside and came back in, you could smell the sugar in the air. I think I gained 5 pounds from just smelling the sweet aromas of the cookies.
Aunt Edna and Kristie decided they did not want to take part in baking. So Aunt Edna became the official "dish washer" and Kristie watched the kids with Mrs. Joyce. All of the baking was completed shortly after lunch and we were beat. I should add that once all of the cookies are finished, each person gets to take home as much or as little as they want. Mary always says that we need to get more than we do because she does not want to be left with a ton of cookies. I grabbed my three small bags full. Mark has put a dent in them and wants to know why I did not get more Snicker doodles. They are now his favorite.
The fruits of our labor
I told you there were a lot of cookies. I hope that each of you have traditions that you enjoy with members of your family as much as each of us enjoy Cookie Bake!!!


1 comment:
I hate that we missed out on this!! Tell Mary she can send us some cookies :) We're coming down next weekend (the 27th) so we'll see y'all then!
Post a Comment